Saturday, May 2, 2009

Whittier Glacier

With the recent run of excellent weather - clear blue skies and temps in the 60's - I decided to head down to Whittier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittier,_Alaska) for some spring skiing.

A large rock slide has closed the Whittier tunnel for the past 3 weeks, so I took advantage of the free train offered by the Alaska Railroad. I loaded up my skis, and enjoyed the scenery.

Skinning up the Whittier Glacier. We started at the Begich Towers and hiked above the town.

Jon and Jessica make their way up the glacier.

Jon flashes his gang sign. Jessica says he should dress and act more his age.

Going to the top of this ridge was a group call. But the views were worth it. It took about 3 hours for this view. Overlooking Prince William Sound.

Me taking in the scenery.

Some terrain I would like to explore in the future.

Jon and Jessica perfecting their "Corn 8's".

Jon getting cornholed by the nice corn snow...

Tracks being laid down on the Whittier Glacier.

Overlooking our run to the bottom. We had to stop 5 or 6 times to rest the run was so long.

This is a shot of Whittier. The last pitch to the bottom.

Jessica drops the knee.

Jon drops the knee.

I fix my heel. I made one more run by myself and found this nice shot, which access required skiing a narrow couloir. Very much worth the 45 min hike.

I was back on the train by 5:00PM and met Meg at Maxine's in Girdwood for some dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home