Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Dusk Patrol

WOW!  That's all I can say.  I've been neglecting North Bowl this year, either due to bad visibility or weather.  This was not the case last night.  B-real and I rallied for an after work powder mission...with Dogface in close pursuit on the Uptrack.  I've got to say that this is my favorite time of year - longer days and good snow!

Anchorage-ites were encased in a fog sarcophagus, while we were climbing in the warm setting sun.  There was no wind, but 'ol man wind had its way with the South Fork on Saturday.  I observed several small natural slab avalanches and cornice breaks through the terrain.  We skied some nice 2-3" dust on a supportable base back to the trailhead.

Here is a quick video edit that I put together of my initial descent.  Some day i'll call this LB's run....my favorite!


I have a feeling that with these conditions Gordon Lyon will be slayed in a subsequent after work hammer fest.  I haven't been around here as long as some of the "graybeards", but the skiing and stability has been phenomenal - no PWL's (persistent weak layers) and a deep snowpack = LOW danger!

Ski safe and enjoy!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home