Monday, December 13, 2010

Get Your Fix...

This weekend was stellar bluebird weather, and a great time to get out in the backcountry.  On Sunday, I headed solo to Summit Lake for some turns.  I had planned on doing some tree skiing by the Summit Lake Lodge, but I ran into another group of three skiers and they graciously added me to their group.  Thanks Bryn, Louie and Sarah for the great tour!
We headed up Colorado Creek, gained the ridge, and dropped into a nice south-facing bowl and skied in the sun.  There was a great trail on the way out all the way to the Seward Highway.  What wasn't nice was the two mile walk I had back to my truck.  But all in a day's work.  I thought I was going to be solo, so I didn't bring my camera....sorry.

This is my shadow enjoying the walk along the highway.  Nobody picked me up.  This sign reads, "Avalanche Area Next 3 Miles - Do Not Stop".
So I am headed to the Lower 48 tonight for a 30 day hiatus from Alaska.  I plan to spend some time with family, and do some slide skiing in the Adirondacks.  I headed out this afternoon to get my last fix of Alaskan powder.

The view was quite ominous.
I was worried about the visibility, but it actually turned out quite nice.  I saw two parties of three skiers!  And of course we were all skiing the same place.  On a Monday!  I thought I would have the run to myself, but I was mistaken.
It was a great evening alpenglow run.  Total tour time was 1:40.  The token self shot.  I've got some new goggle swag.  They're pretty baller.
Today was Day 17 in the BC.  When I get back, its on.  Lemme know if you want to ski mid-week.  I'll have another 6 weeks or so of leave.

Peace out AK, eastcoastice here I come.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home